I’ve had quite a number of setbacks recently, concerning my move towards a healthier lifestyle. Now, before you think I’m going to make a bunch of excuses, I’m not. I know only I myself am responsible for my actions, but I also know, that it will take time to get used to this new lifestyle, and it won’t just happen over night. I know I need to be patient, and increase my willpower over time. I also know I need to be inspired before I can turn exercise into a habit.
So here are a few things I’ve done, which have helped me get back on track:
- Follow inspirational people who post pictures and quotes on Instagram and Twitter.
- Shop from a list – random shopping leads to random food buying, which leads to buying bad foods and drinks.
- Bake – if I fancy something sweet, I’m less likely to binge on something I’ve made myself because a lot of thought and effort has gone into making the cake, muffin or brownie.
- Stop saying tomorrow – I will start saying Today instead. The constant postponing of exercise or healthy eating leads to continued procrastination. If you always find yourself saying ‘tomorrow’ or ‘later’ you will never get to a point where you will complete the task you want to complete. Start saying ‘now’!
- Stop feeling guilty about that little indulgence, just don’t think ‘oh well I’ve had one now, I may as well be bad for the rest of the day and start over tomorrow’ – I have done this many times, and it’s such a bad habit to get into. If you have one indulgence, leave it at the one. You can always have another the next day if you really must, but it really only turns bad when you binge on bad foods and decide not to exercise because you’ve already been bad that day.
These are my tips for getting back on track and handling setbacks. Have you had setbacks? What did you do to overcome them? Share your thoughts in the comment section below!